How are we already two months into 2017 already? Want to know what I've been up to? Want to have a nosey at what I've been loving?
I'm a big reader. Just take a look at all the book-themed products and illustrations I've created. I'm a member of a bookclub with a few of my dearest friends, and our current book is Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon (great book, by the way, and a quick read). While grabbing a copy, there was an offer for 3 books for £10, so I had a look for another two to add. One of my reading goals has been to read more books by people of colour, so I was delighted to see both White Teeth by Zadie Smith and A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara available on the offer. Can't wait to get stuck into these two, thought at over 700 pages of tiny text, A Little Life is a bit intimidating...
I also decided to do a quick little illustration of these three books to create a bit more content and to practice a little with my iPad and Apple Pencil. (I have a list of February Faves below illustrated in the same way at the end of this post.) I really enjoyed doing these little sketches and will hopefully add a few more illustrations like this to posts, some maybe digitally created, others using watercolours. What do you think?
Want to see a few of my new products available over on the store? Want to find out more about each piece? Take a little read at the posts below.
- Watercolour Illustration of Haruki Murakami's Novel A Wild Sheep Chase
- Girl Gang / Feminist Sticker Packs & Empowered Women Freebie Wallpapers
- Cats and Cake Celebration / Birthday Card
- Leslie Knope of Parks and Recs Fan Art Greeting Card
- My 2017 Goals with Freebie Wallpaper
- Watercolour Illustration of Haruki Murakami's Novel Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
- Crazy Cat Lady Pocket Mirrors
What I’ve been Loving and Lusting Over
I love to share things that I love from all over the internet. Here are a few of my faves over the past two months.
- Creative Spotlight // 6 Illustrators and Artists Creating Unique Portraits of Women
- Wish List // 6 Stellar Pieces of Astronomy-Inspired Jewellery
Other Happenings This Month
- Eating & Baking // Anko manju, or steamed red bean buns. These were a common breakfast or snack for me while I was in Japan. You can get them (and manju buns of many other flavours) in most konbinis, and they're usually still warm. So I decided to learn how to make them. I need a little more practice with the folding, but they were pretty awesome.
- Loving // I've always loved Hello Harriet's amazing collection of animal themed products, and my adoration went up a level when they produced a British Shorthair cat-themed look-book. Now they've done it again with a doggie themed look-book!
- Drinking // It was my birthday this month, and I often get my friends around to celebrate with a few cocktails (my brother used to make cocktails in bars, so they are always damn good). I LOVE Guinness (is my Irishness showing?) and I found this cocktail, Black Magic, online and wanted to give it a try. Definitely recommended!
- Watching // I don't know how I missed Geeks & Freaks the first time around. Was it on TV in the UK back when it was made? But I know a lot of people who love the show, and how it was the start of many now well-known actors careers, and thanks to Netflix, I was finally able to watch it. I really loved it, and it's nice to see a show set in the 1980s (I'm a 1983 girl).
- Reading // With the nightmare that is global politics at the moment, The Handmaiden's Tale by Margaret Atwood is flying off the shelves. I bought a copy of the book a while back at Strand Books in New York, and thought now was the perfect time to finally read it. I'm only a third of the way through, but I'm loving it. I've only read one of Atwood's books before, Alias Grace, and while I enjoyed it, it took me a bit of time to get through, so I was worried this was going to be a long read. But it's not turning out that way.